Outdoor Landscape Lighting Ideas to Improve Your Home’s Curb Appeal
The home is the most important investment that people will ever make in their lifetime. It’s also one of the biggest expenses, and it needs to be cared for. Modern homes are designed for efficiency, but they need some TLC to look great. One way you can keep your home looking its best year-round is by implementing these outdoor landscape lighting ideas!
Adding landscape lighting to your home’s exterior can help improve its curb appeal. Curb appeal is the look that houses have from the street, and it is important for attracting potential buyers. It also makes homes feel more welcoming to guests, family members, and neighbors. Landscape lighting can be installed anywhere around your property with ease. You don’t need any special equipment or know-how—just a creative eye! Here are some fun ideas for adding some light to your home’s exterior:
- Distant Lighting – Try using outdoor lights that illuminate only dimly over long distances. They provide just enough light on pathways without giving too much away about what you’re hiding in the dark… like maybe the existence of your backyard pool!
- Accent Lighting – This lighting is aimed at the home’s exterior features. It can highlight specific architectural details or landscaping features, giving them a real WOW factor when contrasted with dimmer areas.
- Spotlighting – An excellent way to draw attention to certain features on your home’s facade is to use spot lighting fixtures. They focus light in one direction and can make an otherwise ordinary detail look visually stunning. Look around for interesting elements you might want to accentuate; consider using spotlights on shrubbery, door and window decorations, or any other attractive feature of your house that could be brought out with some directional lighting.
Design Considerations for Adding Landscape Lighting
The placement of outdoor lights can make or break a home. You want to highlight the best features, but you also want to be careful not to create a scary movie set. Consider these important design considerations when choosing your lighting placement:
- Landscape Lighting Placement – Where you put your landscape lights will depend on what look you’re going for and what features of your home you want to highlight. Be sure to keep safety in mind when choosing a spot for your spotlights, too!
- Timing – Outdoor lighting is great for entertaining guests during the day and evening, or just for making it feel cozier at night. It’s also good for security purposes. Make sure that your lighting doesn’t disrupt residents’ sleep schedules, though!
- Light Levels – Lighting your home’s exterior clearly is important, but you also don’t want to leave your house completely exposed and vulnerable. Make sure you find a balance between light and privacy. All of these design considerations can make a huge difference in how inviting and aesthetically pleasing your outdoor space is!
The key to successful landscape lighting is to highlight the best parts of your home. Use these ideas to help you create a warm, inviting space for your family and friends to enjoy!